The Office of Ministry With the Deaf services deaf persons and their families in the Diocese of Springfield (all of western Massachusetts). Because of language/communication considerations, and the fact that there is a specific Deaf Culture, the services provided span the range from birth to death.
Some of the services the office provides are:
• religious education for children and adults;
• sacramental preparation (including marriage preparation and RCIA);
• signed/interpreted Masses
• Social Events
• interpreters for religious events;
• visitation to homes, nursing homes, hospitals, and prisons;
• pastoral presence to families during times of crisis;
• outreach to individuals or families with special needs;
• training for volunteers and teachers;
• workshops for interpreters learning religious Sign Language;
• maintenance of a small library and resource center for the Deaf, teachers, parents, and interpreters;
• referral to other individuals, agencies, and offices that also serve the Deaf and their families..
MINISTRY WITH THE DEAF
DIOCESE OF SPRINGFIELD
840 Page Boulevard
Springfield, MA. 01104
VP: 413-241-3193; TTY: 413-391-7340; Voice: 413-739-0456 ext. 7
Director: Fr. Matt Alcombright
Please Contact the Office for more information...